Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spring is Here!

It's been almost a month since my last blog post, but spring is here! Since it is spring, I thought I would start off with a few flowers I found recently blooming.




The short eared owls came down again this winter, and I was fortunate enough to find one before they head off to their spring breeding grounds up north in Alaska and Canada. They are difficult to approach, and I didn't want to scare this one off, so these photos were taken from a good distance away. The light was dim, as dusk was approaching, but it provided a beautiful (although difficult to photograph in) orange-ish glow over everything. After it got too dark to photograph the owls, we were treated to an amazing sunset!





The first time I went out to look for short eared owls the weather was terrible, and I didn't find any owls. But I did find this great blue heron carefully walking through the marsh looking for a meal in the rain.



Now for a few more bird photos from the last few weeks. These first two are northern flickers.



A duck and a turtle sharing a perch while enjoying a sunny day at the lake.


One of my favorite birds, the red-breasted sapsucker. I love the way the sunlight is reflecting off the sap dripping from the tree.


A black capped chickadee gathering nesting materials.


That's it for this post. Stay tuned, I have some exciting plans for earth week next month!

2 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog and just now figured out how to comment. I just love your photos. I met you on the Audubon trip we took down to the Skagit flats - the one with all the hunters.

    Anyway I just love your baby owl shots and the latest ones of the short-earred owl. The first time I'd ever seen a short-eared owl was on that Skagit trip. I've seen a barred owl in downtown Bellingham and one in Cornwall park. I'd love to see more 'cause they are on of my fave birds.

    Keep up the great photographic work-I love your blog and always am interested to see what you post next!
    Kaea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! I love owls, and was very excited to see the short-eared owls and the great horned owlets. I still have not seen a barred owl, but they're on my list of birds to see!

      Keep up the birding!
      -Tyler

      Delete